Sat 21 February 2026:
The attack started late on Thursday night and continued into Friday morning in Tungan Dutse village in the Bukkuyum area of Zamfara when armed men arrived on motorcycles and began setting fire to buildings and abducting residents.
“They have been moving from one village to another … leaving at least 50 people dead,” said Hamisu A Faru, a lawmaker representing Bukkuyum South.
Faru, speaking to the Reuters news agency by phone on Friday, said the number of people abducted remained unclear as local officials were still compiling lists of the missing.
Residents say warning signs were visible before the attack.
__________________________________________________________________________

https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaAtNxX8fewmiFmN7N22
__________________________________________________________________________
Abdullahi Sani, 41, said villagers alerted security forces after spotting more than 150 motorcycles carrying armed men a day earlier, but no action was taken.
“No one slept yesterday; we are all in pain,” Sani said, adding that three members of his family were killed in the attack.
Areas of Nigeria’s north and west continue to grapple with overlapping security threats, including armed criminal gangs and rebel fighters.
Just last week, at least 46 people were killed in raids in the Borgu area of northwest Niger State. The deadliest assault occurred in the village of Konkoso, where at least 38 residents were shot or had their throats cut, according to reports.
The crisis has drawn increased international involvement.
Nigeria recently expanded security cooperation with the United States after President Donald Trump accused the country of failing to halt the killing of Christians and threatened military intervention.
On December 25, the US launched air strikes on the northern state of Sokoto, conducted in coordination with Nigerian authorities.
Earlier this week, Nigeria’s military confirmed the arrival of 100 US soldiers tasked with training local forces.
Samaila Uba, spokesperson for Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters, said the US troops would offer “technical support” and “intelligence sharing” to help combat “terrorist organisations”, along with “associated equipment”.
He stressed the US personnel would not engage directly in combat and would share technical expertise under Nigerian command.
Source: Independent Press and News Agencies
__________________________________________________________________________
FOLLOW INDEPENDENT PRESS:
WhatsApp CHANNEL
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaAtNxX8fewmiFmN7N22
![]()
TWITTER (CLICK HERE)
https://twitter.com/IpIndependent
FACEBOOK (CLICK HERE)
https://web.facebook.com/ipindependent
YOUTUBE (CLICK HERE)
https://www.youtube.com/@ipindependent
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

