Sun 09 August 2020:
Popular instant messaging app WhatsApp keeps on rolling out features to its users both Android and iOS users. While at times some feature makes its way to Android phones first, there are times they come to iPhones first as well.
WhatsApp is introducing new features and updates for iOS 220.127.116.11, reports WABetaInfo. These include:
- Improved Security Code Notifications that update end-to-end encryption for messages and statuses.
- A new ‘Multi Wallpaper’ feature that’ll allow users to have different wallpapers dedicated to different chats and even adjust the brightness of these wallpapers.
These are currently only available through Apple’s TestFlight beta programme, and there’s currently no word on when users can expect these features to roll out to the public.
“WhatsApp is actually enabling, from the server side, the feature for a few beta testers. This type of activation is partial and very slow: this happens when a company decides to gradually enable a feature to see the effects of it when enabled,” said WABetaInfo.
For those unaware, this feature will allow users to universally search all types of content — such as photos, videos, links, GIFs, Audio and Documents — through the main search toolbar.
Now that the feature has started to be rolled out to Android beta users, it is expected to be rolled out to all Android users soon.
WhatsApp’s Viral Message Forwarding Feature is Updated
WhatsApp is on a mission to slow the spread of fake news between users and that’s why earlier this year it imposed a strict new limit on message forwarding. This feature means users who plan on forwarding a message that has been identified as “highly forwarded” will only be to send it to a single contact at a time.
A “highly forwarded” message is defined as media that has been sent through a chain of five or more contacts.
WhatsApp says that now it is “piloting a simple way to double-check these messages by tapping a magnifying glass button in the chat. Providing a simple way to search messages that have been forwarded many times may help people find news results or other sources of information about the content they have received”.
And this feature works by “allowing users to upload the message via their browser without WhatsApp ever seeing the message itself”.
More new features
- New animated sticker pack: Stickers are one of the fastest growing ways people communicate on WhatsApp, with billions sent every day. New animated sticker packs that are even more fun and expressive will be rolled out;
- QR codes: When meeting new contacts, users will be able to scan their QR code to add them to their contacts list. No more tapping in digits one at a time;
- Dark Mode: Popular dark mode of WhatsApp and now extends to computers; desktop
- 8 people on a video call: There will now be up to 8 people on a video call, and allowing users to maximise a participant’s video to full screen. Users will also be able to 1-tap to start group chats in groups fewer than 8.
- Status comes to KaiOS: KaiOS users can now share updates that disappear after 24 hours.