Fri 03 March 2023:
More journalists were killed in 2022 in Mexico than in any other year. The murders of Lourdes Maldonado Lopez and Margarito Martínez last January were the latest in a string of killings that have largely gone unsolved. As rights groups continue to call for government action, we are revisiting our episode with Mexican journalists about how safe they feel while covering the news there, why so many are being killed and what is being done to protect them.
In this episode:
- León Krauze (@LeonKrauze), Univision’s anchor
- Alejandra Guerra (@alisguerra8), journalist in Tijuana, Mexico
- Rocío Galván (@RocioGalvanZ), journalist in Tijuana, Mexico
- Andalusia Knoll Soloff (@Andalalucha), journalist in Mexico City
- Natalie Southwick, programme coordinator at the Committee to Protect Journalists (@pressfreedom)
This episode was updated by Amy Walters with our host Malika Bilal. The original production team was Ney Alvarez, Priyanka Tilve, Ruby Zaman, Negin Owliaei, Amy Walters, Alexandra Locke, Tom Fenton and Stacey Samuel. Special thanks to Lorena Arroyo and Inger Diaz Barriga.
Our sound designer is Alex Roldan. Our engagement producers are Andy Greiner and Adam Abou-Gad. Alexandra Locke is The Take’s Executive Producer and Ney Alvarez is Al Jazeera’s head of audio.
FOLLOW INDEPENDENT PRESS:
TWITTER (CLICK HERE)
FACEBOOK (CLICK HERE)
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!