Thu 23 March 2023:
Smoothies and shakes are a quick and easy breakfast to make for the whole family and they often appear on busy mornings in our house. Dates, banana and peanut butter create a wonderful tasting smoothie that’s healthy for the whole family. It actually tastes as good as dessert!
INGREDIENTS IN A DATE SHAKE
- Bananas: I like to use frozen bananas as they eliminate the need for ice which can dilute and thin the shake. They make the shake creamy and they are a great source of vitamins and minerals and give you energy.
- Dates: A great source of antioxidants, and they help to create a sweet smoothie without the need for added refined sugar.
- Chia seeds: I include chia seeds in my diet wherever I can! They are nutrient dense and rich in fatty acids, fiber and antioxidants. They help to bulk up the date shake with plant-based protein.
- Peanut butter: Peanut butter is high in protein as well as being delicious with banana! Can you think of a better combo?
- Milk: I like to use almond milk for this smoothie, but if you prefer you can use dairy milk or another plant based milk like soy or oat.
- Cinnamon: It gives it a warmer taste with a little kick. You can leave it out or switch to another spice like nutmeg, cloves or ginger.
HOW TO MAKE A DATE SHAKE
It’s so quick and easy to make this smoothie. Simply add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
TIPS TO MAKE A DATE SHAKE
- Drink this smoothie straight away, as once the ingredients start to oxidize they begin to loose nutrients. If you do want to make it ahead of time, cover the smoothie with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Allow time for your bananas to freeze. It will take about two hours for them to freeze so they are ready to use. I often keep several bananas in my freezer to grab whenever smoothies are on the menu. And the kids can help themselves to make their own smoothies.
- Use a high speed blender. There’s nothing worse than drinking a smoothie and getting chunks in your mouth. This is especially needed since we’re using dates. If you don’t have a high speed blender, I recommend stirring it every once in a while with a long spoon and blending for an extra 1 minute.
- Soften the dates with warm water. You can soften the dates for 10 minutes in warm water to make it easier to blend it into the date shake. This will especially help if you don’t have a super strong blender.
FOLLOW INDEPENDENT PRESS:
TWITTER (CLICK HERE)
FACEBOOK (CLICK HERE)
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!